The other night I was sitting on the couch, fireplace in full swing, all warm and cozy on a cold winter evening. The fragrance of Valentine lilies wafted, filling the air with a marvelous sweetness. A rack of lamb marinating in mint and garlic was resting on the kitchen counter. Maxine was snoring. (Those of you who know how I really feel about a snoring dog will get a chuckle out of that) Will handed me a glass of red wine and sat down beside me. And for the two hundredth time I looked at him and said, “ Can you believe we live here?” and we clinked our glasses in toast.
“ Two and a half years ago if someone had said this is what the red house will look like I probably wouldn’t have believed them.”
And then Will said, “ If someone told me how much it was going to cost…”
Good thing we didn’t have that crystal ball.
This major renovation was nothing short of a marathon putting our new marriage to a quite a test. Good thing we had the endurance to see this project through and still be talking to each other! I’ll toast to that any day.
Writing about the red house renovation process in real time has been really hard for me at times.
If you take a look at the blog history you will see that it wasn’t until May of 2015 that I finally got to posting on the progress we made in January. I quickly skipped over everything that occurred between February and June and blissfully posted about moving in on June 23rd, our third wedding anniversary. Was I in denial or avoidance? Probably both.
In case you are curious how we got from last January to the couch in front of the fire a year later, here goes a recap of February with lots of images:
February 2015 delivered another month of frigid temperatures, frozen heavy machinery and disappearing contractors. Will kept trying to cheer me up, reminding me that we were no longer taking things out of the red house (demolition) – but actually putting things back in. I just rolled my eyes.
Now as I sort through the dozens of photographs I took I just can’t believe how much progress was made – astonishing to say the least.
The radiant heat was installed in the mudroom and concrete floor poured.
Framing the interior begins
Insulation is blown in
Restored windows are installed
The cement mixer moves to the other side of the house and pours for basement floor and bulkhead foundation.
The installation of the French drains was completed in February leaving the yard, patios and stonewalls ravaged and all but destroyed.
Our contractor promised the crew would return in spring to put the yard back- well he was wrong.
More about that in the next post.