House Hunting with Tim Lovett
We both loved living in the sunny open space of Will’s loft and enjoyed the panoramic view of Flag Rock out our windows , but it had limitations: one bedroom, little elbow room or closet space to speak of, and no spare room for my children to come visit.
After our June wedding, and the summer sailing season drew to a close, things began to settle down in mid September.
We resumed our quest for a beach house on Martha’s Vineyard; eternally optimistic that something with all the right ingredients would pop on the market. However, with Will’s employment based in Pittsfield, we also kept a practical and pragmatic approach in mind and concurrently searched for a different, more spacious living option in the Berkshires. How perfect to have a beach house and a country house. I figured anything was possible in this next new chapter for me so why not search for both?
Will and I devoured the local Berkshire real estate magazines during that fall and winter. Over the course of the next six months we found three properties that passed our drive-by assessments, all of which happened to be in the same town, and the same street Will grew up on. Despite their curb appeal, none of the houses were a good fit for a variety of reasons. Discouraged, we tabled the local real estate search for a while and reset our gears with a trip to the Bitter End Yacht Club https://www.beyc.com/ for a delayed honeymoon the end of March.
Refreshed after two weeks of sailing in the British Virgin Islands, a hint of promise arrived in mid April when Will decided to take a detour on the way home from work and drove down his old street on a whim. He noticed a For Sale sign in front of an antique red cottage that he had admired for years, which just so happened to border the property he had lived on as a child.
As soon as Will got home, we frantically dragged out the real estate books thinking to ourselves- how could we have missed that? Next we looked it up online to find out more. The property was a brand new listing posted by an out of town agency, part of a National chain, which was unusual for this area where things are often kept on a very familiar and local level. From the listing we could determine the price was right, we knew the location was what we were looking for, so we immediately reached out to our good friend Tim Lovett, co founder of Berkshire Property Agents http://www.berkshirepropertyagents.com/info/agency/ to schedule a showing.
Tim also shares my passion, ok-call it obsession, for Martha’s Vineyard and was completely sympathetic to our two-pronged approach to beach house and country house- after all he has one of each! We knew he understood the split personality, part dream, part practical, of our real estate search. Tim also shared similar aesthetics coupled with a love for the Vineyard, and for the Berkshires as well.
Tim called us back and said he could show us the house, but warned us that it already had several offers on it, even though it had only been on the market 3 days. However, luck was on our side since nothing could be presented to the owner until Saturday when she returned to the country. Talk about creating a sense of urgency! We did a walk through with Tim Thursday afternoon and we were all overtaken with the property: it had all the right ingredients; location, the river, the view, the gardens and the charm of a house from the 1800s with reputed historical significance. The listing stated that Daniel Chester French, best known for his monumental work, the statue of Abraham Lincoln in the Lincoln Memorial, had been responsible for designing a wing that had been added onto the house in the in the early 1900s. http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/fren/hd_fren.htm
Verging on being giddy with our new find Tim, Will and I retreated down the street to the Red Lion Inn http://www.redlioninn.com to deliberate. Tim understood exactly what we were looking for, and offered solid counsel on a potential investment. With all the right ingredients combined with the frenzy created by other offers, Will and I decided to throw our towel into the ring too and gave Tim an offer to submit along with a security deposit. And then we waited for the owner to weigh in.
The negotiation process sustained itself for a couple of stressful weeks. Some of the offers dropped out of play but ours remained in the running with at least one other. The owner countered our offer with the condition that the tenants who had been living in the house for the past six or so years could remain for another 12 months, at their current rent rate. After much back and forth with Tim, Will and I decided that while it wasn’t ideal, it was not such a bad deal and agreed to her terms.
Tim phoned us with the good news that our offer had been accepted and with his devilish tone said, “be careful what you wish for.” There was a lot of work to be done which was clearly visible to the eye, but what we were about to encounter after inspections was something far more than we bargained for.